chromogenic transparency in lightbox
10 cut-out photographs and acrylic sheets
41 x 31cm
- - -
In this series of works I invited intimate friends over to tell me a secret as I took their portrait. However, my intention was not to hear their secret, but to capture the expressions of each one at the moment they revealed their secret. I also asked each one to choose a song for me to listen to in my ear phones while I photographed them. And, after the photo session, I asked each one if the secret had a color, and these are the colors the portraits carry. From this photo shooting session I chose 10 different portraits to cut and overlap.
land art (and overhead satellite view)
1500’ x 50’ x 30’
Mormon Mesa, Nevada
Leap into the Void
performance and photomontage on gelatin silver print
30” x 40”
Mask 2 (2011)
Rombs 2 (2011)
Eyes 2 (2012)
all images c-prints under diasec
Turning the Place Over
- - -
"An ovoid cut from the façade of a building in Liverpool and made to oscillate in three dimensions. The revolving façade rests on a specially designed giant rotator, usually used in the shipping and nuclear industries, and acts as a huge opening and closing window, offering recurrent glimpses of the interior during its constant cycle during daylight hours."
- - -
"See and be seen. Interpolate and interpellate. In an explicit gesture to Duchamp and the Russian Futurists, the Department of Biological Flow offers ICQ (Inverted Cubofuturist Query), a performance that reconsiders the question of tempo in public space and interrogates opportunities for movement in the contemporary vision machine.”
1. Plug kinoderm tail appendage into faux kino-gait transcribing device.
2. Begin walking staircase. Ensure a steady rhythm.
3. Using surgical devices at hand (scissors, small garden shears, Japanese band saw, large BBQ knife), cut away from kinoderm while walking up stairs.
4. If gait slows down too much, cease cutting and resume steady rhythm.
5. The performance ends once the artist has cut free from the kinoderm and fled the gaze.
(The full video for a second performance of ICQ (Inverted Cubofuturist Query) in 2012 may be viewed on Youtube.)